Dr. Jessica West wants to make sure you have the clear and honest information you deserve when it comes to cosmetic treatments. During your consultation, she takes the time necessary to get all of your questions answered. Below, see some of the most frequently asked questions about dermal fillers. Contact us to arrange a consultation with Dr. West.
What do fillers do?
Dermal fillers smooth wrinkles, restore lost facial volume, and plump thin lips and even aging hands.
How long do fillers last?
The exact longevity depends on the specific dermal filler. Dermal fillers last anywhere between 6 months to 5 years. In general, filler lasts a shorter period of time in areas that have more active muscle contraction and require more malleable or thinner filler for natural results (such as the lips). Filler lasts longer in areas that require thicker filler to build volume, and where filler is injected in a deeper area of the face (such as the cheeks). Here is the longevity of some of the most common fillers -
- Juvederm: 9 months-2 years depending on the specific filler and where it is injected. The Juvederm family of fillers includes Voluma, Volbella, Vollure, Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus. Voluma is an excellent filler for volume replacement in the cheeks, and can last up to two years.
- Restylane: 6 months-1.5 years depending on the specific filler and where it is injected. Restylane recently introduced a new product, Restylane Kysse for the lips, which provides beautiful results and lasts up to a full 12 months in the lips. The Restylane family of fillers includes Restylane Lyft, Silk, Refyne, Defyne, and Kysse. Restylane Lyft builds volume in the cheeks and lasts 1-1.5 years. Refyne and Defyne are used in the nasolabial folds and marionette lines, lasting up to 12 months. These are ‘next generation’ fillers that provide a more natural result in these areas, blending into the tissues naturally to avoid the appearance of a ‘roll’ of filler.
- Belotero: Used for the nasolabial folds and lip lines, lasting 9-12 months
- Bellafill: up to 5 years. Works well for the treatment of acne scars.
- Fat transfer: permanent results!
Where do you use filler?
Facial fillers are highly versatile and non-surgical. Fillers rejuvenate the face, lips and hands:
- Flattened, hollow cheeks. By correcting the midface (cheeks), you actually help improve the appearance of the nasolabial folds and under eyes!
- Nasolabial folds (extending from the corners of the nose downward)
- Smile/laugh lines, which look like parentheses around the mouth
- Marionette lines (extending from the corners of the lips downward)
- Upper lip wrinkles
- Aging hands
- Thin lips
If you are not sure whether dermal fillers will work for your area of concern, simply contact us. We are happy to answer your questions and arrange a consultation for you with Dr. West.
What is the recovery for fillers?
Dermal fillers are widely popular because they involve little to no downtime. Depending on the filler and the treatment area, post-treatment bruising, redness and mild swelling is normal. Most people feel fine returning to their normal activities right away. Bruising, swelling and redness will go away within a few days, but can last up to one week. Lips have a higher tendency to bruise or swell than other areas of the face. Avoid blood thinners (aspirin or Motrin) for 7-10 days before your procedure to reduce the risk of bruising. Avoid alcohol 24 hours before your injection. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is ok to take for pain as an alternative to aspirin and ibuprofen. Dr. West recommends no working out for the rest of the day following your injection, but can return to regular activity the next day.
Are fillers dangerous?
When injected by an experienced, qualified professional like Dr. West, dermal fillers have a low risk of complications. Dr. West makes sure you are a good candidate and informs you of the risk of certain side effects, which generally are not more serious than bruising and swelling There are rare cases of severe complications such as blindness or tissues necrosis (tissue death), when filler is injected in certain areas of the face. It is important that you are injected by a qualified and experienced injector, with a full understanding of facial anatomy to help to avoid these complications. Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero are all hyaluronic acid fillers, which can be quickly dissolved if there are any issues.
Why should I see Dr. West for fillers?
Injecting with dermal filler is an art, which requires precision and patience. Dr. West is known for her particular nature, as well as the extra time she spends during injections to obtain the best results. There isn’t any one equation or injection technique that works for every person, which is why a deep understanding of facial aesthetics and technique is critical. Dr. West is experienced with all fillers and injection techniques, which allows her to provide a personalized treatment and natural result. She is also experienced in off-label use of fillers, such as under eye treatments and liquid rhinoplasty. Not only does Dr. West have the artistic eye necessary to achieve optimal results, but she is also an experienced surgeon with a more advanced understanding of the facial anatomy.