Like your personality, your smile, or your laugh, your breasts are completely unique to you. They often play an important role in how you see yourself as a woman, and how you view your overall femininity. Unfortunately, it isn’t always easy to feel completely comfortable with the appearance of your own breasts whether they have changed with age, lost volume after pregnancy, or simply have never quite felt like the right shape or size for your body.
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic breast surgery that enhances the appearance of your breasts with implants to not only achieve a beautiful outcome that perfectly complements your figure, but to also provide you with empowering self-confidence.
We would love to speak with you about your specific breast augmentation goals and concerns. We have additional material on some of the most frequently asked questions about breast augmentation. To learn more about our award-winning practice or any of the services we provide, please call our office at 734-971-0262 to schedule a complimentary initial consultation. Board-certified surgeons Jessica West, DO and Robert Burke, MD welcome women and men in the Ann Arbor, Plymouth-Canton, Brighton, and nearby areas of Michigan, and those traveling from out of town.
Read more about breast enhancement below:
- What Is a Breast Augmentation?
- Breast Augmentation Benefits
- Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision (Breast Implant Revision)
- Choosing Breast Implant Types
- Choosing Breast Implant Size
- What to Expect from Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Breast Augmentation Recovery & Follow Up
- Breast Augmentation Results
- The Cost of Breast Augmentation
- Schedule Your Complimentary Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
A breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery procedure that is performed to increase the size, enhance the shape, or improve overall symmetry of the breasts. This breast surgery is also referred to as breast enhancement or breast enlargement surgery, breast implant surgery, or simply a “boob job”. Breast augmentation works by inserting a silicone or saline implant beneath the skin, creating a fuller appearance of the breast while maintaining a natural look and feel.
When it comes to your specific surgery, we will go over the different options for incision location/type, implant placement, silicone vs. saline, and implant size. One of the greatest aspects of breast augmentation surgery is that it can truly be customized for your unique figure and desired outcome.
When performed alone, a breast augmentation isn’t designed to correct other common issues such as breast sagging/drooping or downward-pointing nipples. However, when combined with a breast lift, the two procedures work together to both lift and increase volume for a youthful and well-balanced appearance. Dr. West or Dr. Burke may recommend this combination of surgeries based on your goal outcome and existing condition. This combination of a breast augmentation and breast lift is also often performed as part of a mommy makeover, helping to restore the breasts’ appearance following pregnancy and childbirth.
Breast augmentation continues to rank as one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries in the country, with more than 300 thousand procedures performed each year. Women who have undergone breast augmentation surgery often speak of several benefits they’ve experienced from their surgery, including:
- Increased breast size
- Improved breast shape and projection
- Improved symmetry between both breasts
- Restoration of lost breast volume (due to age, childbirth/breastfeeding, or weight change)
- More feminine silhouette
- Naturally youthful appearance
- Confidence to wear certain clothes, bathing suits, or lingerie that may have previously been avoided
- Higher levels of self-esteem
- Increased confidence with partner
The Michigan Center for Cosmetic Surgery team is passionate about helping you to achieve breast augmentation results that are unique to your personal goals. Dr. West and Dr. Burke take the extra time to personalize each step of your procedure and approach your surgery with the artistry it truly deserves.
Your free initial consultation with Dr. West or Dr. Burke will help to determine whether you are an ideal candidate for breast augmentation surgery. During this visit, you will sit down with one of our board certified surgeons for a thorough examination and to discuss your goals and expectations for surgery.
There are also certain factors that will determine if breast augmentation is a safe option for you, including you:
- Must be at least 18 years of age for saline implants
- Must be at least 22 years of age for silicone implants
- Have no current diagnosis of cancer or any pre-cancerous conditions
- Have no autoimmune disorders
- Are a non-smoker or are willing to quit prior to surgery and during recovery
- Have fully-developed breasts and adequate breast tissue
- Are close to your ideal weight and in good physical health
- Have realistic expectations for surgery
At Michigan Center for Cosmetic Surgery, we see all sorts of women benefit from breast augmentation surgery, from women wanting to increase the size of naturally small breasts, to mothers looking to restore the appearance of their breasts following pregnancy and breastfeeding. Breast augmentation can be fully personalized to meet your needs and personal goals. To find out if breast augmentation is right for you, call our office at 734-971-0262 to schedule your free initial breast surgery consultation with Dr. Jessica West or Dr. Robert Burke.
In other cases, it is also possible you may be looking into a breast augmentation revision for a previous surgery. This can be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Complications with a previous breast augmentation surgery, such as rippling, capsular contracture, ruptured implant, etc.
- Change in desired aesthetic appearance of the breasts (ie: increase/decrease in size)
- Dissatisfaction with the outcome of a previous breast augmentation.
- Upgrading to a newer implant, or switching from one type to another (saline to silicone or vice versa).
Whether to correct issues with a previous surgery or to simply revise your look, Dr. West and Dr. Burke can help provide you with your desired outcome through a breast augmentation revision. During your consultation, they will thoroughly examine your breasts, taking into consideration the previous procedure (implant type, size, placement, incision location, etc.) to help develop a customized plan for your revision.
One of the biggest decisions to be made for your breast augmentation is to choose either silicone or saline implants. The best option for you will be based on your personal preferences, as well as your desired look, feel, and size.
- Silicone implants are constructed from a cohesive silicone gel that is designed to closely resemble the look and feel of natural breast tissue. These silicone implants have been nicknamed “gummy bear” implants. Silicone implants are pre-filled to the desired size and inserted whole. At Michigan Center for Cosmetic Surgery, we use the Keller® Funnel for easier placement of silicone implants and reduced trauma. Some of the main reasons why patients may choose silicone implants include:
- Silicone implants are known to have a more natural look and feel
- Silicone implants are less likely to show any visible signs of rippling
- Due to the cohesive gel structure, rupture is now extremely rare
- Saline implants are constructed from a thin silicone outer shell filled with a saline (saltwater) solution. Saline implants are typically inserted empty and then filled to the desired size once properly placed within the breast. Some of the main reasons why patients may choose saline implants include:
- Age: the minimum age for saline implants is 18, as opposed to 22 for silicone.
- Saline can be safely and naturally absorbed by the body in case of rupture.
- They typically cost a bit less than silicone breast implants
Ultimately, the right choice for your breast implant will depend on what you are wanting for your own look. Certain incision types and implant placements will also affect which implants can be used for your surgery. Both saline and silicone implants come in a variety of shapes (round vs. a more anatomic or “tear-drop” shape), textures, and profiles. During your consultation, you will have the opportunity to compare the different types of implants we have available at our Ann Arbor cosmetic surgery practice.
Choosing your ideal size breast implant is not an easy decision – nor one that we expect you to make in a matter of minutes. During your breast augmentation consultation, you will compare different size implants by wearing a sports bra and inserting the various implants underneath to get an idea of how each looks, feels, and moves. In addition, you will also perform at-home sizing exercises, taking as much time as needed to find one you are comfortable and happy with.
Dr. West and Dr. Burke encourage you to direct this process of choosing your own implants. They will help to provide any guidance when necessary – such as to recommend against any unsafe sizes – and will choose the right implant for providing you with your desired result based on your chosen size. It is important to recognize that your desired breast size does not directly correlate to the size of the implant, and in some cases, the two implants may be slightly different in size in order to balance out any level of breast asymmetry.
Your breast augmentation will be unique to you and personalized based on your specific case. During your consultation, you will discuss the various steps of your procedure with Dr. West or Dr. Burke. They will educate you on the different options you have for your breast augmentation, and help to customize the right approach for your procedure.
Your anesthesia options include local anesthesia and sedation or general anesthesia. Your cosmetic surgeons will discuss this with you during your initial breast augmentation consultation.
The most common incision options include:
- Inframammary Incision: Made along the fold or crease beneath the breast
- Peri-Areolar Incision: Made along the outer edge of the areola
Dr. West or Dr. Burke will discuss the different incision types with you during your consultation. Other possible variations include breast lift incisions such as a donut incision, lollipop incision, anchor incision, or crescent incision.
In most cases, your implant placement will be located below the muscle. This type of placement is known as submuscular implant placement. Depending on your unique circumstances, Dr. West or Dr. Burke may recommend a different placement type.
The Keller® Funnel may be used during your procedure if you have chosen silicone implants. This device allows for a “No Touch” technique in placing the implant, which helps to reduce tissue trauma and shorten overall healing times.
Your breast augmentation will be performed at our on-site AAAHC accredited surgical suite, or at a nearby surgery center. You will be able to return home on the day of your surgery with a loved one driving you home.
Each patient will experience the breast augmentation recovery phase a bit differently and will heal at her own rate. You should be prepared to take up to one full week off from work and will need to restrict any lifting. A surgical or compression bra will be provided to you after surgery, which will help keep your breasts at the correct position as they heal. The length of time you will be required to wear this bra will be discussed with you by your surgeon.
Dr. West or Dr. Burke will provide you with additional detailed care instructions, and will be available to answer any questions or concerns you may have throughout the entire healing process. As your body heals, you will have regular follow up appointments with your cosmetic surgeon to ensure everything is progressing as expected.
Breast augmentation surgery is designed to provide you with lasting results. Today’s implants are designed to last for decades, though it is important to pay attention to their condition over time and watch for any complications. Breast implant warranty details will be discussed with you before surgery. A breast augmentation revision surgery can be performed to revise a previous augmentation, correct existing complications with one or both implants, or to remove/replace the implants.
The cost of breast augmentation will vary based on several factors including your type and style of breast implant. You will be provided with a detailed estimate for your breast augmentation based on the various items discussed during your consultation. At this time, we will also be more than happy to discuss the different payment and financing options available at Michigan Center for Cosmetic Surgery.
If you are unhappy with the size or shape of your breasts and want to learn more about your options, please contact Michigan Center for Cosmetic Surgery online or at 734-971-0262 to schedule your free initial consultation. Dr. West and Dr. Burke are board-certified surgeons who are passionate about delivering beautifully artistic results through unmatched levels of expertise. We proudly serve patients in the Ann Arbor, Plymouth-Canton, Brighton, and nearby Michigan areas, as well as those from out of town.